What is a TN Visa?
TN visas were created under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.
Among the types of professionals who are eligible to are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers.
You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if:
- You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- Your profession qualifies under the regulations;
- The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
- You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment); and
- You have the qualifications to practice in the profession in question.
Canadian citizens are not required to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate. Canadians can establish eligibility for TN classification at the port of entry to the United States by presenting required documentation to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Required documents include:
- Proof of Canadian citizenship;
- Proof of relationship to the TN nonimmigrant, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate;
- Photocopies of the TN nonimmigrant’s admission documents; and
- Proof the TN nonimmigrant is maintaining his or her TN nonimmigrant status.
Mexican citizens are required to obtain a visa to enter the United States as a TN nonimmigrant. Apply for TN visa directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico. Processing time takes 2 weeks if apply for premium processing or 5-6 months if regular processing with USCIS plus US Consular process visa of approximately 2 weeks.
A step-by-step guide on how to apply for a TN visa please click here.
Spouses + Family Eligibility
Spouses and/or children under 21 may be eligible for TD nonimmigrant status.
- They are not permitted to work while in the U.S., but they are permitted to study.
- Granted TD status for no longer than the period of time granted to the principal TN nonimmigrant.
Why Peek Law Group?
Peek Law Group attorneys have over 20 years of experience in preparing documents for Mexican citizens and gathering all the required documents for Canadian citizens. We ensure that, whether you’re applying for the visa or showing required documents at a port of entry, the process will go smoothly and efficiently.
Contact us at (512) 399-2311 today and book your consultation.