E-1 Treaty Trader Visa Attorney Report – How Do You Qualify for a Visa?


A treaty trader visa attorney can advise investors of situations when they can be admitted to the United States for the purpose of trade.

The program is set out on the website of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The E-1 nonimmigrant visa classification allows a foreign national of a treaty country to be allowed into the United States solely to take part in international trade on his or her own behalf.  The employees of the trader or a qualifying organization may also be eligible.

Visa Application

To be eligible you must be a national of a list of countries which has a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States

What Countries’ Nationals Are Eligible for Treaty Trader Visas?

The U.S. Department of State keeps a list of qualifying countries. They include Canada, Israel, Spain and the United Kingdom.

If the treaty trader is in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status, Form I-129 may be filed to request a change of status to E-1 classification.  If a company wants an employee currently in the country in a lawful nonimmigrant status to seek E-1 status, a qualifying employer may file Form I-129 on behalf of the employee.

Obtaining E-1 Classification from Outside the United States

If the individual being filed for is outside the United States, you are not able to use Form I-129. Interested parties should check out the U.S. Department of State website for additional information about applying for an E-1 nonimmigrant visa abroad.  When a visa is issued, the beneficiary can then apply to a DHS immigration officer at a port of entry in the United States for admission as an E-1 nonimmigrant.

Why You Should Seek The Help of An E-1 Treaty Trader Visa Attorney

An experienced Texas treaty trader visa is aware of the requirements for seeking an E-1 visas.

For example, at least half of the firm making the application must be owned by citizens of the treaty company.

The firm must be engaged in the international trade of services, good and technology. The volume of trade should be significant enough to justify the presence of the trader and the employees in the United States.

You can read more about treaty trader visas here on our website. If you require help with any business-related immigration matter in Texas, our attorneys can help. Please call us at (512) 399-2311.

Share To: