How to Fill Out Biographical Information on a Green Card Application


Making a green card application can be one of the most difficult and time-consuming things you will ever do. The federal authorities don’t make it easy and it often makes sense to hire an immigration lawyer to help you.

One of the forms you will have to fill in is the G-325A, Biographic Information form. The form asks for lengthy background details of names of your family members and former residences and places where you worked in the past.

person writing

These details aren’t always hard to find but it can be a laborious process. U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) doesn’t always make the process easy for those who seek residency in Texas or elsewhere.

When you are making a green card application, you will find there are parts of G-325A that are straightforward and well-explained. Other parts can be confusing.

The Straightforward Parts of the Green Card Application

When you start the process, you may mistakenly think it’s easy. The first few questions ask for basic details that you should have at your fingertips such as your name, your date of birth and where you were born, along with some biographical information about your parents.

There is also a section for information about your relationships. You will be asked for names, dates of birth and marital details of former spouses. This information is particularly important if your application for a green card is based on marriage. The immigration authorities must be satisfied that all previous marriages were legally terminated.

If your spouse has sponsored green cards applicants in the past it may flag up concerns about possible marriage fraud.

The More Difficult Parts of the Green Card Application

The G-325A contains tougher questions as you progress through it. There are questions about where you have lived for the last five years and where you have worked. It’s not always easy to recall every single detail if you have moved around a lot. Make sure to answer questions about your employment history in reverse chronological order. You can get away with the occasional “unknown” answer but too many unknowns could lead your application to be returned.

There are a number of routes to obtaining a green card and residency. Our Austin citizenship attorneys can guide you through every step of the process. Call us today to make an appointment to meet with a lawyer at  (512) 399-2311.

Share To: