President Trump recently declared a national emergency to justify the shifting of billions of dollars from other budget items to build a border wall to block immigrants from entering the country via the U.S.-Mexican border. In response, a bipartisan group of 58 former U.S. government national security officials have signed a joint declaration to directly refute the President’s declaration.
In part, the joint declaration states that although the signees fully support the power of the Executive Branch to mobilize funds in response to genuine national emergencies, they believe that there is no evidence to justify the declaration of a national emergency in this instance. As a result, they do not believe that the President is entitled to utilize funds to build a border wall that Congress specifically has allocated for other purposes.
According to these former government security officials, current statistics show that there is no national emergency currently taking place at the country’s southern border with Mexico. Rather, the officials point to various statistics and facts that point to the opposite conclusion, such as the following:
- Illegal border crossings are at a 40-year low.
- There are no documented terrorist, national security, violent crime, human trafficking, or drug trafficking emergencies at the southern border.
- Redirecting funds for a nonexistent emergency will undermine U.S. national security and foreign policy interests.
- The lack of justification for the diversion of funds is an attempt to circumvent the congressional appropriations process.
- Declaring a national emergency will only exacerbate existing humanitarian concerns at the border.
- There is no need for either armed forces or a wall at the southern border.
The immigration attorneys of Peek Law Group have the experience that you need when you are seeking any type of relief or benefit under federal immigration laws. We will determine the facts and evidence that are relevant to your case, evaluate your options, and help you decide the best course of action for your case. It is our intention to place you in the best position possible to achieve your goals. Contact our Texas immigration attorneys at our office today and learn how we can assist you through this complicated situation.