EB-3 Visas: What is a “Skilled Worker”?


Workers who wish to pursue their careers in the United States may qualify for an EB-3 visa. According to the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS), those who qualify for EB-3 visas include “a skilled worker, professional worker, or other worker.”

The USCIS defines each of these categories as follows:

  • Skilled workers must provide evidence of at least two years of job training or job experience. They must also be doing work for which a suitable candidate is unavailable in the United States. Labor certification and a full-time job offer are required.
  • Professional workers must provide evidence of a baccalaureate degree (either earned in the U.S. or the foreign equivalent earned abroad). They must also show that their degree is a degree normally required for entry into their professional field. Like skilled workers, professional workers must be doing a job for which a suitable candidate in the U.S. was unavailable and have labor certification and a full-time job offer. Professional workers cannot substitute experience for the baccalaureate requirement.
  • Other workers must, when their petition is filed, be able to perform “unskilled labor” requiring less than two years’ training or experience. The work may not be temporary or seasonal, and a suitable candidate in the U.S must be unavailable. Labor certification and a full-time job offer are also required.

Your experienced Austin, Texas immigration lawyer can help you determine whether an EB-3 visa is appropriate for your particular situation.

Share To: