Can My Green Card Get Revoked?


Lawful permanent resident status, or a green card, enables you to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis. With that said, lawful permanent residence is a privilege, not a right. As a result, there are some situations in which you can lose your green card and be deported, although these are not common situations. There are numerous grounds for deportation of a lawful permanent resident, including criminal activity, fraud, and abandonment.

Federal law lists various crimes for which a non-citizen may be deported. Most of these crimes involve moral turpitude, constitute aggravated felonies, or are certain drug-related crimes. Minor crimes, however, such as traffic violations, typically will not lead to deportation.

Woman questioning

Can My Green Card Get Revoked?

You also may be deported if you intentionally abandon your lawful permanent resident status. Immigration officials may determine that you abandoned your status if you move to another country with the intent to live there permanently, remain outside the U.S. for more than six months (unless you intend it to be a temporary absence), or fail to file tax returns while living outside the U.S.

If you hold a green card and immigration officials determine that you lied or committed any type of fraud during the green card application process, you can be subject to deportation. One common example is marriage fraud. If immigration officials decide that you married a U.S. citizen solely for the purposes of getting a green card, you may be deported.

At Peek Law Group, we care about keeping your family together, whether that involves defending against revocation of your green card or another immigration-related matter. We will focus all of our efforts on standing up for your rights and representing your interests as you seek to remain in the U.S. Our knowledgeable immigration lawyers know the best strategies for gathering evidence to support your case and navigating the complex rules of the U.S. immigration system. Allow us to handle your immigration case by sitting down with us today and discussing your case.

Share To: